I decided to do this hike today for a few reasons. First...I know it and know it's a good workout without being a killer. Second...it's close to home and since I'm on "Marti-watch"...closer seemed like a good idea. Third...it's very popular, so I feel safer over all because there are always folks on the trail.
Well...I certainly got my workout... proximity didn't matter as we are still in the baby-holding pattern... and popular was an understatement today.
| The kids' & Penny's GC find my last trip here. |
Two busloads of day campers, at least 6 families and lots of other folks...I must have crossed paths with at least 100 people... yay for hiking! In fact, I had thought about trying to find a Geo-chache that my students and I hadn't been able to locate on our last trip to Twin Falls(we did find one :)... but there was just too much muggle company to make that "safe." Penny wasn't as impressed with all the muggle company, either...more on that later.
Though I am familiar with the trail, I am always a bit surprised at how winded I get mid-way through the trail...not at the half-way point when you reach the upper falls... but half-way to the falls. There is a steep downhill section (that on the way back, remember, is UP) followed by a series of moderately steep switchbacks after which, you reach the first set of stairs down to the lower falls (which are, in my opinion, the far superior of the two). It's a lot of stairs...down... and some are high... Penny has to take a flying leap off of them. You go down them because the falls at the bottom are beautiful to see...even if you've seen them three times before... it's what you came here for, right?
| Lower Falls...gorgeous. |
It's worth it for the eventual climb you have to take to get back up to the trail. I chanted to myself the whole way back, "I'm losing my ass, I'm losing my ass, I'm losing my ass." It helps me keep a nice rhythm and makes it harder to give in and take a break.
| On the bridge over Upper Falls. |
Penny loves to hike...she goes out of her mind excited when I grab my pack and her leash. The grin goes on and she starts to shake with joy. On the trail, she is a great partner... often looking back to see how I'm doing and slowing down when I am dragging (yeah, I know, I'm humanizing her... so what?) Today was a bit of a rough day, however. She was doing great, being uber polite with all of the folks on the trail, until, just after we turned to do the last half... a young boy of about 7 comes thundering up to her arms out-stretched and screaming "Doggie!"... going right for her head (to pet, I know...but he was coming fast and loud)... and Penny freaked. She snarled and snapped and I barely yanked her back in time from nipping him. His mother rushed over to scold him (apparently, this is not the first time he's approached a dog like this with negative results). Unfortunately, it really rattled Penny. She was a bit skittish the rest of the way back...until, that is.... we met another Boston and her mommy. Penny and the Boston were friendly with each other... everybody got snacks from both Mommies, and Penny's general ease seemed greater after that. Stopping to have a drink, a snack and a bit of a roll along the river bank helped her mood, too.
| Penny will take a roll any where, any time. |
| Sniffing, but not willing to take a dip. |
So... Lorien's Walk-a-Thon stats thus far: 7 miles hiked (17.5% of my goal), $200 raised (27% of my goal)... not too shabby, and the first week's not over yet! I have the Rainier hike tomorrow (Friday) & Tom's promised butt-kicking hike on Saturday left!
About tomorrow... I tackle Mt. Rainier Nat'l Park. We are doing the Tolmie Peak trail... which is rated as moderate... which means challenging as heck for me. 7.5 miles and over 1100 ft elevation gain at high altitude... not quite as gnarly as Mission Ridge... but no stroll in the park, either. A few friends are coming with me... which is very exciting... and comfortting. I will log a full report when I get back!
Sounds wonderful and the pics are great!
ReplyDelete