Sunday, August 1, 2010

And Away We Go!

It's August 1st and I am officially started with the WTA Hike-a-Thon...or Hike-a-Thin as I like to think of it.  I burned some major calories and poured out massive amounts of sweat today as I did Rattlesnake Ridge for the first time today with Tom & Penny.  It was awesome...the view was incredible...but it was also the most crowded trail I have ever been on.  When we got to the top, there were dozens of folks there. 

The hike itself is rated moderate...though it was a tough one for me...as least the last .5 mile which was all swtichbacks that were fairly steep.  Tom, who has done Mt. Si, which is a big goal for me, said the last part was "Mt. Si-ish...only Mt. Si is this way the whole way up"...so yeah, I ain't ready for Mt. Si. :)  BUT, I was very pleased with myself.  I did need to take several stops along the way...but most were just like breathers.  Only once, about 1.7 miles up with another 300 ft of elevation to go, I started to hit a wall...but a little chocolate flavored engery-goo kicked me back into gear. 

Penny also helped me so much today...she pulled me through really some rough spots...urging me on...with Tom & I saying, "Mush! Mush!"...it's like she knew here job was to keep me moving up.  However, she also knew exactly when to stop and when to stay close to me.  I must say, she was one of the best behaved dogs on the trail.  She was courteous and stayed out of the way...only sniffing if folks came near her.  There were way to many people on the trail that let their dogs off lead.  I was frankly annoyed because with so many dogs, so many kids, and constant movement on the trail, a dog (or in one case...a pack of 7!) off leash could be a recipe for disaster.  IN fact...one little dachshund was attacking every dog she came across on the trail...Penny just turned away from her...no hackles raised and she did cower either...but this little doggie was vicious.  We heard her snapping at dogs all the way up...and her mommy apologized to us again on the way down.  Tom took Penny on the way down...they jogged much of the way (I even felt good enough to jog a bit, too, on the flatter surfaces).  She had a blast...and will sleep WELL tonight.



SO...I am 10% toward both of my goals:  4 miles of 40 pledged are done & I have $80 donated of my goal $750 for the WTA...so cool!  Please consider supporting me and this great foundation by donated on my fundraising page...every little bit will help. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow!! Totally awesome. I'm very proud of you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! Perhaps Jake, Olivia and I can join you on a hike soon. We are free Wednesday?? You go girl!

    ReplyDelete