Tom is such an inspiration and support for me...without trying or knowing, he provided such motivation and support and I love being out on the trail with him...as does Penny. And today, he really, really helped me so much, taking over Penny's lead when we got to the top, rather precarious section that involves scrambling over big boulders and tree roots.
It allowed me to fully concentrate on keeping my footing and taking my time. It also allowed Penny to go the pace that she loves most...full tilt. They would scramble up ahead and wait at the big turns for me...so great to feel the freedom to go my own pace and yet know that my partners were always there for me.
My absolute favorite parts of this trail are the huge sections that meander through the deep, dark woods. Ferns, moss, big decaying stumps in a mini-canyon of big boulders and cliffs just transport me to another place and instantly lower my blood pressure (and are flat enough to allow my heart rate to slow down :).
The rock-climbers could be heard above us through the trees, but it still seems so isolated and primeval...straight out of a movie scene. Mid-way through one of these sections is a bench that is sobering...a memorial to a local Mountaineer climber, Doug Hansen who died on Mt. Everest in 1996...I was inspired to read about his story when I got home...again...sobering.
The view today, much like the previous time I went up, was not the greatest...so I am going to go back as soon as I have a free sunny day and a partner to join me (any takers? :) But the view is wonderful none-the-less. You cannot see the top of Big Si through the clouds...but it's hard to imagine that the trail up to the top of that is only 3 miles longer...but gains 2000 more feet than Little Si. A goal...for next summer. After a lovely light lunch in the mist...we headed back down the mountain...in half the time it took to get up. Again, there were many times I had to use my hands to balance my way down over the obstacles, but going down is much, much easier and a heck of a lot more fun.
So...first hike of week number two is in the books. My WTA Hike-a-Thon stats: 19.5 miles hiked and $217 raised. I am looking for 2 or 3 more hikes this week...and next Saturday I'm going to try once again to summit Mission Ridge again....more than try...I will summit it! I still need more folks to sponsor me...and it's totally tax deductible and all proceeds go directly towards maintaining these amazing trails I love so much.
No comments:
Post a Comment